Seeing shouldn’t always dictate believing; especially with pests. Not noticing any insects and creatures around your Pensacola property isn’t cause to be nonchalant about suitable critter management. You will have to stay on top of it because a lot of creepy crawlers can sneak into your home or business. If they’re able to reproduce in volume, you might be facing a disaster. Some species can completely ruin buildings or belongings, others primarily make people ill and several do both. Termites have a big reputation for most of this; especially for going undetected.
Prevention and recovery costs from termites come to about $5 billion for Americans each year. Most of the time, these bugs cause the worst damage inside the walls. This keeps their victims in the dark until it’s too late. You can’t hope for insurance companies to shield you either because they won’t. Learn what the signs of termites are and what EnSec can do to help.
What Termites Are Common in Pensacola? What Are the Signs of a Termite Infestation?
Subterranean, drywood, and dampwood termites are all prevalent in the area. However, the subterraneans are the most widespread. Regardless of the type, the colonies have three components: workers, soldiers, and swarmers. Subterranean workers are 0.25 of an inch long and are cream-colored. While they grind wood, they’re protected by the soldiers, which are the same shade. Their brown heads and thick jaws set them apart physically. These two classes live under the radar in damp spaces, soil, and behind foundations. Swarmers are 0.25 to 0.50 of an inch long and are brown or black. Their four wings take them from the nests in the spring to develop new colonies and mate. You will find them by the lights and windows, this is your first official hint that there’s an infestation. Additional indications are:
- Seeing discarded swarmer wings; they’ll look scaly and translucent
- Finding swells of fecal frass near termite holes, mud tubes, and maze patterns
- Having walls that sound hollow
- Hearing clicking and rustling noises from walls
- Discovering paint that looks frothy or water damaged
- Noticing that drywall is off-color or baggy
- Tiles becoming loose
- Floorboards starting to cave in
- Stiff window frames and doors
Rapidly weakening walls and bases are what you’ll get with termites. This could create an unsteady environment where, at any moment, there might be a collapse. If you’re a homeowner, you or someone you love could be hurt. Business people may have to care for have injured staff or patrons, not to mention, the possibility of losing your domicile or establishment. In relation to medical health, termites trigger allergies, but not diseases.
What Are Ways to Prevent Termites?
Perform these tasks to make your home or business less conducive to termite colonies:
- Rotting or fractured wood should be removed or refurbished
- Have moisture dysfunctions repaired; focus on those wetting wood first
- Patch up openings in utility lines, caulk, and foundations
- Attach screens to all exterior vents
- Wash out your gutters and vents regularly
- Place greenery and wood two feet or more from your property
- Don’t let loose wood, like fire logs, touch soil
- Trim your grass, plants, and flowers often
How Will EnSec Exterminate Termites?
Termites require professional intervention because independent methods and retail products won’t reach infestation cores. Moreover, they can be lethal. Here at EnSec, we provide industrial-grade treatments, such as the Sentricon® System with Always Active™ baiting systems. All of our safe solutions are aimed at breaking down the nests and eliminating these pests. Warranties, follow-up visits, and Wood Destroying Insect Reports (WDIR) are available. Call us today at EnSec for a free estimate! We’ll have you covered!