Mosquitoes are a common sight in Pensacola, and while they may not be the most dangerous creatures around, they can certainly be a nuisance when they take over your home. EnSec of Florida will go over everything you need to know about mosquitoes in Pensacola, from how to identify them to what attracts them and the potential dangers they pose. We'll also discuss professional mosquito pest control in Pensacola and how it can help if you're dealing with an infestation.
Homeowner's Mosquito Identification Guide
The first step in mosquito control is identification. There are many different species of mosquitoes, and each one has its own unique characteristics. Here are some of the most common species of mosquitoes in Pensacola:
- Asian tiger mosquitoes: These mosquitoes are dark in color with white stripes on their legs and body. They are small, only about ¼ inch in length. Asian tiger mosquitoes are aggressive biters and are known to transmit diseases like Zika virus, dengue, and chikungunya.
- Yellow fever mosquitoes: As the name suggests, these mosquitoes can transmit yellow fever. They are brown or black in color with white markings on their legs. Yellow fever mosquitoes are larger than most other mosquito species, measuring up to ½ inch in length.
- Southern house mosquitoes: Southern house mosquitoes are dark gray or brown in color with white stripes on their legs. They are small, only about ? inch in length. Southern house mosquitoes are not known to transmit any diseases, but they can be a nuisance because of their constant biting.
Knowing which mosquitoes you're dealing with can help determine whether they're a potential threat to your health.
What Are Mosquitoes Attracted To?
Now that you know how to identify some of the most common species in Pensacola, you may be wondering what mosquitoes are attracted to. There are a few things that can attract mosquitoes, including:
- Standing water: Mosquitoes lay their eggs in water, so standing water in your yard is a perfect breeding ground for them.
- Dark clothing: Wearing dark clothing can make you more likely to be bitten.
- Sweet smells: Perfumes and lotions can also attract them.
- Body heat: Mosquitoes are more likely to bite you if you're sweating or have a high body temperature.
- Carbon dioxide: Mosquitoes are attracted to the carbon dioxide we exhale, so they're more likely to bite us when we're breathing heavily.
As you can see, there are a variety of reasons why mosquitoes want to make you their next meal. Knowing what attracts them can help you learn the best ways to repel mosquitoes.
Are Mosquitoes Dangerous?
While mosquitoes in Pensacola are not usually dangerous, some species can transmit diseases. The most common disease-transmitting mosquito in Pensacola is the yellow fever mosquito, which can transmit yellow fever. Other mosquitoes in Pensacola can transmit diseases like Zika virus, dengue, and chikungunya. While these diseases are not common in Pensacola, it's important to be aware of the potential risks.
These diseases carried by mosquitoes can cause fever, rash, and headaches. In severe cases, they can lead to hospitalization or even death. If you've been bitten by a mosquito and notice any of these symptoms, be sure to see a doctor right away.
Why You Should Choose Professional Mosquito Control
If you're dealing with a major infestation on your Pensacola property, the best way to control mosquitoes is to hire a professional extermination service like EnSec of Florida. Here's why:
- We have the experience and knowledge to determine the best way to kill mosquitoes in your yard.
- We have access to powerful control products that are not available to homeowners.
- We can help you prevent future infestations with regular maintenance services.
If you're dealing with too many mosquitoes in Pensacola, don't wait; call EnSec of Florida today. We've been helping local residents effectively get rid of mosquitoes and other pests since 1997. We can help you get rid of your mosquito problem for good.