Fire ants are a common pest in Pensacola and the surrounding areas. They can be difficult to get rid of, but with the right information, you can eliminate them from your property for good. EnSec of Florida will cover everything you need to know about fire ants: how to identify them, what to do about their bites, how to prevent them, and how Pensacola pest control can help you eliminate them for good.
Are These Fire Ants?
Fire ants are small, red ants that typically measure about 1/8 of an inch in length. They have a stinger on their abdomen that they use to inject venom into their prey. This venom is what causes the burning sensation associated with fire ant bites. You can tell them apart from other ants by their behaviors. Fire ants are very aggressive and will swarm their prey. They are also known to build large mounds in open areas like lawns and gardens. You can identify a fire ant hill in your yard by its cone-shaped structure. The ants will build these mounds to protect their nests from the heat and cold.
If you see a fire ant mound in your yard, it's important to take action immediately with professional fire ant control. These pests can cause a lot of damage to your yard and pose a serious threat to your family's health.
What To Do If A Fire Ant Bites You
If you or someone in your family is bitten by a fire ant, take the following steps:
- Wash the area with soap and water. This will help to remove the ant's venom and prevent infection.
- Apply a cold compress. This will help to reduce swelling and pain.
- Take over-the-counter medication. This can help to relieve pain and itching.
Fire ant bites are always painful and irritating, but they're also dangerous if they cause an allergic reaction. If you have trouble breathing, a swelling throat, or any other signs of a reaction, be sure to seek medical attention immediately.
Five Fire Ant Prevention Tips
The best way to deal with fire ants is to prevent them from taking over your property in the first place.
Here are some tips:
- Keep food and garbage sealed. Fire ants are attracted to food and garbage. Be sure to keep all food and garbage sealed tightly so that the ants can't get to it.
- Trim trees and bushes. Fire ants like to build their nests in trees and bushes. Trimming these back will make it harder for them to build their nests on your property.
- Eliminate standing water. Standing water is a breeding ground for fire ants. Be sure to eliminate any standing water on your property so that the ants don't have a place to breed.
- Keep your yard clean. A clean yard is less attractive to fire ants. Be sure to rake up leaves and remove any debris so that the ants don't have a place to hide.
- Call a pest control professional. If you are having trouble preventing fire ants, call a pest control professional. They will be able to help you get rid of the ants and prevent them from coming back.
When it comes to resilient fire ants, do-it-yourself methods are not enough. If you want to get rid of fire ants for good, it's best to contact a pest control professional.
How To Get Rid Of Fire Ants For Good
The best way to get rid of fire ants in Pensacola is to call a pest control professional. For more than 20 years, EnSec of Florida has provided knowledgeable staff, affordable prices, and guaranteed results to local residents. We offer fire ant control for your Pensacola home that will eliminate the ants and prevent them from coming back.
Don't let fire ants take over your property. Call EnSec of Florida today to schedule a free estimate. We will help you get rid of fire ants for good.