Are Snakes In Mobile Dangerous?
While many pests and wildlife species can make their way onto Mobile, Alabama properties, some are more feared than others. Snakes are some of the most dreaded animals in the world, and many people are severely afraid of these creatures.
Snakes are long, legless reptiles that have scales covering their bodies. Their heads are sleek in shape and blend into the rest of their bodies, and they have eyes on either side of their heads and small nostrils. They use their tongues to smell, and they can come in a wide variety of colors, sizes, shapes, and patterns depending on the exact kind of snake.
Overall, the fearsome reputation that most snakes get isn’t earned. While some snakes are dangerous, most aren’t particularly harmful to humans, especially in this area. However, there are still some risks, and even non-dangerous snakes can bite. The experience of a snake bite can be rather shocking and painful, even if it doesn’t lead to any serious side effects.
In this guide, you’ll learn how you can help keep snakes away from your yard and what to do if you already have them.
How Worried Should You Be About Snakes?
One of the main reasons people don’t want snakes around is because they hate imagining them slithering around the yard waiting to strike. It’s true that there is the occasional dangerous snake in the area, and if you believe you’ve been bitten by one of these snakes, it is important to seek medical attention right away.
However, the vast majority of snakes encountered in Mobile yards aren’t medically dangerous. Most snakes also aren’t particularly aggressive. They prefer to stay out of sight and don’t necessarily want to encounter humans any more than we want to run across them. However, if they feel threatened, or if you accidentally disturb them, they may bite or try to bite.
Five Snake Prevention Tips
There are also some steps you can take to keep snakes from coming onto your property. While these aren’t completely effective, they can make your lawn and surrounding areas less appealing to snakes.
Here are five of the best measures to follow:
- Clear your yard of debris. This includes organic things like leaf piles and grass clippings as well as general trash like woodpiles or old metal.
- Regularly trim hedges and other vegetation as snakes will often hide in the underbrush or in places that provide cover.
- Keep your grass mowed and maintained on a frequent basis.
- Many snakes hunt rodents as prey, so address underlying rodent problems. You can do this by covering all garbage cans with lids and cleaning up food and drink spills right away.
- Secure potential entry points such as vent openings and install door sweeps and weather stripping. You can also shore up openings for plumbing and other utilities using wire mesh.
Sometimes, despite your best efforts, snakes may find their way onto your Mobile home. When this happens you'll need to take the next step in snake control.
How To Control Snakes In Mobile
Along with taking steps on your own to deter snakes, the best way to both prevent and remove them is with assistance from EnSec of Alabama. With over 20 years of experience, our residential pest control options can include snake eradication services. All you have to do is give us a call to learn more or request an inspection.