Termite Prevention Tips
There are many steps a homeowner can take to help prevent termites from infesting their property. Most importantly, a homeowner should eliminate or reduce moisture in and around their home, which
termites need to thrive. Here are some other tips:
- Divert water away from your home's foundation by installing properly functioning downspouts, gutters and splash blocks.
- Reduce humidity in crawl spaces with proper ventilation.
- Trim vines, hedges and other vegetation to prevent them from blocking vents.
- Remove old form boards, grade stakes, tree trunks and roots near a building, as they may attract termites.
- Maintain an 18-‐inch gap between soil and any off-grade wood portions of your home. Keep a 6 inch gap between final soil grade and siding.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and 5 inches off the ground. Check it for pests before bringing it indoors.
- Routinely inspect the foundation of your home for signs of termite damage.