Ants are insects that live in large groups (colonies) and have over 12,000 various subspecies worldwide. They typically measure between 1/16 to ½ of an inch, have six legs, and antennae. The warmer Pensacola weather allows them to remain active throughout the year and this translates to a potentially ongoing problem for homeowners seeking to prevent intrusion from these pests. To keep these pests out and keep them out for good, here’s what you should know.
Most Common Types Of Ants In The Region
There are a host of different ants that can be troublesome for Pensacola property owners. Some of the most common are as follows:
- Pavement Ants: As the name implies, pavement ants tend to nest within sidewalks or other masonic structures. They are dark brown or black and love to forage indoors.
- Carpenter Ants: Florida’s carpenter ants are among the largest you will see and they are attracted to areas of wood within a structure, particularly where water damage is present.
- Pharaoh Ants: These smaller sized ants appear in shades of yellow, red, or brown and can spread numerous deadly diseases. They are capable of developing large colonies indoors and among the most resistant ants to traditional pest treatments.
- Ghost Ants: They have a recognizable appearance with a dark-colored head and light-colored body. Ghost ants prefer areas with moisture like potted house plants.
- Fire Ants: These pests are reddish-brown and will bite and sting their prey with venom that is dangerous to humans. Argentine Ants: They are typically a shiny brown or black color and can expand very rapidly after infesting a property.
Why Do Ants Invade Homes?
Certain members of an ant colony are continuously foraging for food. Often, they will first be attracted to the exterior of a home, particularly around trash areas, and soon move indoors. Ants leave a pheromone trail that informs others and triggers an infestation. Excessive moisture from plumbing leaks creates a conducive environment for these ants to infest.
Tips For Preventing Intrusion
Promptly seal cracks along the foundation of the home and weather-stripping applied in window and door areas. Dirty dishes should not be left out overnight and uneaten pet food removed. Clean floors and counters regularly and keep them free of crumbs and spills. Trash cans, particularly those containing discarded food, should have lids that seal tightly.
Responding To The Presence Of Ants
Property owners may first begin to notice a few ants and perceive the problem as being a minor nuisance. In the weeks that follow, these intrusions can develop into significant infestations. During this time, some people will mistakenly consider DIY products such as sprays, gels, and bait stations that deliver minimal results. Contacting an expert pest controller is critical for accurately assessing the scope of the infiltration and taking comprehensive action to eliminate it.
Residential Ant Extermination Services In Pensacola
When you notice that your home has been invaded by ants, the problem may be much more extensive than you realize. This stems from how these pests often create nests in areas of the home that are hidden. Completely eradicating these problems typically requires an examination by an experienced exterminator. The team of professional pest controllers at EnSec Pest & Lawn has been delivering results for homeowners in the greater Pensacola area for over 20 years. What has been our formula for success? We maintain a commitment to the safety of our customers and use only the latest greatest resources on the market. Contact our team regarding an in-home inspection and estimate today.