With its high humidity and excessively hot days, Mobile, Alabama, is the perfect destination for mosquitoes. These small, flying insects can bite you without you even realizing it. However, after they leave, you are left with an extremely itchy insect bite and possible illnesses. If you have a mosquito problem on your property, we can help you solve it. At EnSec, we specialize in providing exceptional pest control in Mobile and know how to eliminate mosquitoes from your property.
How To Identify A Mosquito Problem On Your Property
Mosquitoes usually gather in large groups, which makes them easy to detect. However, some other telltale signs can determine whether or not you have an actual mosquito problem. Some of the early warning signs to look out for include:
- You see mosquitoes on your property all day long. Mosquitoes are most active during dawn and dusk. If you start seeing mosquitoes flying around your property during the day and the night, there is a good chance you have an infestation on your property.
- You are getting a lot of mosquito bites. Depending on what you are doing, it is common to get one or two mosquito bites if you are spending a lot of time outdoors. However, only the female mosquito feeds on the blood of humans and animals. They need this blood to lay eggs. If you notice that you are getting bitten by several mosquitoes, that means that you have quite a few mosquitoes that are ready to reproduce on or near your property.
- There is standing water near your home. Female mosquitoes are drawn to water because that is where they lay their eggs. The water doesn't have to be deep, just an inch or two will do. But if you do have standing water around your home, you are sure to have mosquito eggs in that water in the near future.
- You frequently hear a high-pitched buzzing sound. Mosquitoes are so small that sometimes, they can go unnoticed. Like most flying insects, mosquitoes have a buzzing sound when they fly. If you hear a high-pitched buzzing sound around your home, there is a good chance that you have several mosquitoes nearby.
Because Mobile winters are usually short and mild, mosquito season will last for most of the year in this part of the country. On average, you can expect to see a lot of mosquito activity from April through October.
Mosquitoes Can Create Many Problems Around Your Yard
Mosquitoes can make it extremely uncomfortable to be outside. If you have a lot of mosquitoes in your yard, you will not be able to enjoy the outdoors without getting bitten every few minutes. These tiny, flying insects are also known to spread deadly diseases, which can include the West Nile and Zika viruses.
Five Naturally Effective Mosquito Prevention Tips For Your Yard
If you want to prevent mosquitoes from coming into your yard, follow these five simple tips:
- Keep the grass in your yard cut short.
- Remove all standing water from around your home. This includes checking the inside of old tires or any toys that may be left in your yard.
- Keep all shrubs, bushes, and hedges pruned and cut back away from your home.
- Don't keep your porch light, or any other outdoor light, on all night.
- If you have fountains or bird baths in your yard, be sure to change the water at least once a week.
Mosquitoes are bound to find their way onto your property. But if you follow these tips, these bothersome pests are less likely to stick around.
Identify And Remove Potential Mosquito Breeding Spots In Your Yard
If you have any standing water around your home, it should be removed immediately. If you are still experiencing a mosquito problem after following preventive tips, it may be time to call in the professionals. At EnSec, we have been successfully treating mosquito problems in Mobile for years. Give us a call today for a free estimate.