Pensacola's Complete Rodent Prevention Guide
While you may experience an infestation of mice or rats, you will likely never have both of them at the same time. This is because both of these rodents are territorial, and rats are known to kill mice.
Common rodent species in the Pensacola area are:
- Roof Rats: 9 ½ inches long with brown fur and scattered black hairs
- Norway Rats: 6 to 8 inches long with dark brown to black fur
- House Mice: 2 ½ to 3 ½ inches long with light brown or gray fur
Pensacola residents should know more about rodents, including what happens when they get inside a residential property, how to prevent them, and how to remove an active infestation.
How Rodents Get Inside Pensacola Homes
Rodents are reliant on people for things such as food, water, and shelter. Our homes can provide these necessities without our knowledge, and if there are entry points, they can slip through with easy to get to what they want. Plus, they only need a gap the size of a penny to squeeze through.
Once inside, rodents can cause the following problems:
- Spreading diseases like rat-bite fever, hantavirus, salmonellosis, tularemia, leptospirosis, and more.
- Contaminating food and surfaces.
- Triggering asthma and allergies.
- Spreading fleas and ticks, which cause other problems.
- Damaging your home and personal belongings by chewing through items and leaving waste behind.
- Creating fire and flood hazards when they damage wires and pipes.
Due to their prolific nature, you will most likely never experience an infestation of just one small rodent. If you see one or two of these pests, there are probably many more that you cannot see. Because of this, and how difficult it is to get rid of rodents, prevention is essential to keep infestations from happening.
How To Prevent Rodents In Pensacola
When it comes to rodents, maintaining your property is key to prevention. The food, water, and shelter resources your home might provide will make rodents feel welcome, and they will build nests to reproduce. To prevent rodents, try the following tips:
- Food Storage: Use air-tight containers to store dry goods and pet food and store produce in the refrigerator. You should also sweep floors and wipe down surfaces regularly to remove food debris.
- Trash Storage: Use garbage cans with tight-fitting lids that can't be easily knocked over.
- Seal Potential Entry Points: Inspect and seal cracks in your home's foundation and exterior walls, install screens on windows and doors, and use vent covers.
- Address Moisture Issues: Fix any leaks, remove water-damaged wood, and keep your yard clear of organic debris.
- Declutter: Remove clutter from your home and keep it organized to remove hiding places and make it easier to keep clean.
Rodents can also chew through many materials such as wood, insulation, drywall, plaster, and metal. To prevent rodents from chewing through holes you are patching, fill these gaps with steel wool before sealing them. For cavities that can't be filled, you can place bricks in front of them.
How To Control Rodents In Pensacola
Pest problems won't go away on their own, especially when dealing with stubborn rodents; for total rodent control and prevention, contact the professionals EnSec Of Florida. We utilize Integrated Pest Management (IPM) techniques that are green and long-lasting to keep your children and pets safe. Throughout our home pest control process, we will also implement preventative steps to stop future infestations.
Reach out to us at EnSec Of Florida to hear more about what we can do for rodents and other pests on your Pensacola property.